Shanti Bhavan Children’s Project seeks a highly motivated and proactive professional to fill our Senior Development Officer position. Reporting to the Director of Operations, the Senior Development Officer will be a self-starter whose primary responsibilities include individual and corporate fundraising and who can acquire and retain new donors while working alongside a team of mission-driven professionals.
You will directly contribute to Shanti Bhavan’s mission of empowering children from socially and economically disadvantaged backgrounds. Your efforts in expanding our donor base and fostering long-term relationships will enable the growth of our programs and amplify our impact on the communities we serve. As a Senior Development Officer, your strategic and empathetic approach to fundraising will support our commitment to creating lifelong change for those in need.
- Identify and acquire new donors with specific attention to wealth capacity and philanthropic inclination.
- Develop individualized goals, strategies, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship plans for donor acquisition and retention.
- Conceive and implement special events for current or prospective donor partners, including tailored follow-ups so that special events are an authentic component of the donor experience.
- Maintain and analyze database records to track donors, donor prospects, and gifts to retain and increase long-term engagement.
- Coordinate with other Shanti Bhavan staff to ensure consistency and coordination in donor outreach and stewardship efforts.
- Create enduring relationships and explore funding opportunities.
- Remain current with new resources and technologies relevant to prospect research.
We seek a resourceful and determined professional candidate with a minimum of 5 years of experience in fundraising, development, or a related field, with a demonstrated track record of success in donor acquisition and retention. The ideal candidate will have previously navigated complex donor landscapes and cultivated relationships leading to substantial funding opportunities.
- Donor management/client service experience, including customizable programs and initiatives to drive donor giving.
- Excellent relationship-building and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent project management and organizational skills. Ability to prioritize and manage multiple high-priority tasks and responsibilities under tight deadlines and schedules.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Adept at developing and pitching persuasive presentations.
- A solutions-focused, personable, respectful, and highly organized approach to work.
- Attention to detail and commitment to excellence.
- A flexible schedule to accommodate calls and meetings in various global time zones.
- Perseverance and persistence regarding follow-ups on potential opportunities.
- Must have working experience with Microsoft Office Suite and Google Workplace.
- A willingness to learn Asana, Slack, Classy, Copper, and wealth-screening platforms.
- A passion for social change and ending global poverty.
- The ability to commit 160 hours a month to this full-time position.
At Shanti Bhavan, we value our employees and are committed to providing a supportive work environment. We offer a competitive salary package, comprehensive health benefits, and opportunities for professional development. As part of our team, you will have the chance to grow within a dynamic and passionate community of change-makers. We encourage continuous learning and provide avenues for innovation and leadership in your field.
- Anticipated start date: May 2024.
- This is a full-time remote position (approximately 160 hours per month) but must be based in North America.
- Salary range: $75,000-$95,000 USD.
How to Apply
Prospective applicants are advised to watch the documentary Daughters of Destiny on Netflix and visit our website before applying.
Send a resume and cover letter describing your eligibility to [email protected] with “SENIOR DEVELOPMENT OFFICER” in the subject line of your email. Applications that do not comply with the above requirement will not be considered. You will only be notified if your application advances to the next stage.
About Shanti Bhavan Children’s Project
Shanti Bhavan has been in existence for nearly 27 years and has been profiled on the Discovery Channel, ABC World News, NPR, Glamour Magazine’s “Get Schooled” video series, and in books and periodicals, such as Thomas Friedman’s The World Is Flat and the New York Times. In 2017, the four-part Netflix Original Documentary series Daughters of Destiny featured Shanti Bhavan.
Shanti Bhavan serves children of the lowest caste. All the children in the program hail from socio-economically depressed areas of India and are mainly from the “untouchable,” or Dalit, communities. The mission of Shanti Bhavan is to empower children from India’s lowest socioeconomic class to break the cycle of generational poverty through education, leadership, and compassion. Each child is provided full tuition and room and board while attending school. Shanti Bhavan means “haven of peace,” and the school truly is a haven for students from prekindergarten to twelfth grade. They receive a world-class education in a safe and nurturing environment.
Shanti Bhavan operates on the core values of compassion, integrity, and excellence. We seek individuals who are passionate about social justice and who bring a collaborative and innovative spirit to their work. Our team thrives on mutual respect and continuous improvement, and we believe in creating an inclusive environment that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve. If you are a mission-driven individual looking to make a tangible difference, we welcome you to join our team in fostering a more equitable future.
Shanti Bhavan Children’s Project provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.