Shanti Bhavan is looking for a creative, experienced photographer or videographer to serve as Media Volunteer in the summer of 2023. Our Media Volunteer resides on the beautiful Shanti Bhavan campus in India, and helps produce content for our website and social media platforms. The minimum length of stay for a media volunteer is two weeks.
The Media Volunteer is the primary liaison between the Shanti Bhavan campus in India and the marketing team in the United States. They work with the US team to create stunning photographic and videographic assets for use in Shanti Bhavan’s social media, newsletters, website, advertising, and other marketing mediums.
This is a unique opportunity to immerse yourself in a close-knit community with the common goal of poverty alleviation through world-class education. Your experience as a Media Volunteer will allow you to bring awareness to Shanti Bhavan’s important mission while giving you an opportunity to explore and develop your own storytelling skills in a one-of-a-kind environment.
- Produce beautiful photography and video, in both a directed and self-directed fashion, that illustrates life on campus.
- Work with the India and US team to expand Shanti Bhavan’s media library.
- Highly skilled photographer.
- Familiarity with videography.
- Familiarity with audio recording.
- Familiarity with Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and Premiere (or similar software).
- Camera that is capable of high-quality photography and video.
- Fluency in English (written and spoken).
Please send a resume, a cover letter, and a sample of previous work to [email protected] if you are interested in volunteering during our fall semester.
Shanti Bhavan is a rural village and self-sufficient, relying on solar power and an organic farm for food. Living conditions are relatively basic (dorm-style rooming, possible power outages, etc.), with limited opportunities to travel off campus.
- Candidates must be comfortable working in such an environment.
- Complete COVID-19 vaccination is mandatory to work on the Shanti Bhavan Children’s Project campus. For the purpose of this policy, fully vaccinated means you have received a single dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine or both doses of the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine.
About Shanti Bhavan Children’s Project
Shanti Bhavan is a residential school exclusively for children born into India’s lowest socioeconomic class. Those born into poverty are entrapped in systems that perpetuate inequality due to a lack of social protection, access to quality education, and low wages. In fact, it would take seven generations for an individual born in a low-income family to reach a mean income. Shanti Bhavan breaks the cycle of poverty in a single generation.
As a registered non-profit in the US and India, we provide high-quality education from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade. We promote academic achievement, instill values of global citizenship, and emphasize leadership development. Our program gives individual attention to every aspect of a child’s upbringing: emotional development, mental and physical fitness, social and cognitive growth, and academic excellence. The support extends beyond pre-K-12 education as we strive to ensure graduates continue to excel in high education and employment. In total, this 17 years of intense intervention per child – from age 4 to 21 is what allows us to profoundly and positively impact their lives.